This is cake is so easy, and so fast, it’s hard to believe it works: but it does! There’s no soaking, chopping or messing about. After lining the cake tin, prep time is about 6 minutes.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 kilogram of whole fruit and nuts: I used apricots, sultanas, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, glace cherries, pitted dates and dried pineapple. Health food stores sell this in a pre-pack, or you can customize to suit your taste.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 200gms castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place fruit and nuts in large mixing bowl.
- Sift flour and baking powder into bowl, add sugar.
- Add lightly beaten eggs, brandy and vanilla, mix well.
- At this point you could be forgiven for wondering how this will turn into a cake, but I assure you it works. Spoon into a greased and lined, 20cm cake tin; bake for 2 hours at 150c.