There is no reason for me to become a queen of emergency dinners: my life is not that busy. But I do like to read, and that means some days the well planned, nutritionally balanced, three course dinner is not going to happen!
This was very fast, 20 mins and you’re sitting down to eat. It is also easy to customize to suit your family’s tastes.
- Chicken. I had a cooked chicken from the Deli, which I had already removed the meat from and frozen, so it was grab it out and chop. No need to defrost, as it was chopped fairly finely. Alternatively, use chicken breasts, thighs, or tenderlions; cut small.
- Pasta. I’ve made this with penne and fettucine, both work fine.
- Cream. Fresh, long life, whichever you have on hand. Just don’t use low fat. (low fat cream-blurk! – it’s an oxymoron!)
- Pesto. Let’s not be snobby here. It’s an emergency dinner, so grab a jar out of the cupboard! I used a surprise variety sent by our German friends (very nice!)
- Garlic. Entirely optional, depending how much pesto you use.
- Parmesan cheese to taste.
- If using fresh chicken, fry in small amount of butter and olive oil. Add garlic at this stage, if desired.
- Add cream and pesto to pan. (for a small, whole chicken, I used 400ml cream and half a jar of pesto) and heat gently.
- Add cooked pasta, and stir through. Serve topped with parmesan cheese. Easy!