With not a vegetable in sight, this recipe will not be snapped up by the heart foundation. However, it is tasty, quick and easy: and for emergency dinners, that is the most important criteria.
- 1 cup white rice, cooked (sure, brown is better, but we’re going for fast here)
- 500gms minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- garlic to taste (optional)
- 450gms crushed pineapple in syrup
- grated cheese (I use parmesan for flavour, but any grated cheese will do)
- a little oil for frying ( I use coconut for this recipe because it suits well)
- heat oil, add onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft
- add mince, browning thoroughly
- drain pineapple, reserving the syrup
- mix syrup with cornflour, blending well. (sorry, I don’t measure the cornflour, maybe two tablespoons?)
- add syrup to mince, stir until thickened to a meat and gravy consistency as you would have for a pie , remove from heat.
- spread base of a casserole dish or pie dish with the drained pineapple
- spread meat over pineapple
- sprinkle grated cheese all over the top of meat, dust lightly with paprika
- brown cheese under the grill
- serve over rice
This all in one version is very quick to make, or you can use the same basic idea to make individual little serves by using pineapple rings instead of crushed pineapple, by piling a little mince into the centre of the ring, and topping with cheese before grilling. These individual serves can be presented with vegetables or a salad.