Almond bread is very easy to make, can be made ahead, and stores well in airtight containers. As such, it provides your after dinner moments an element of handmade delicacy, without the pressure of last minute preparation.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour (sifted)
- 125gms split, blanched almonds (though the blanched part is not essential)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Two or three days ahead;
- beat egg whites until stiff
- continue beating while gradually adding 1/2 cup caster sugar
- when thick and glossy, fold in almonds and vanilla
- transfer to a lightly greased 20cm x 10cm loaf tin
- bake 25-30 mins on middle shelf in preheated 190 degrees c oven
- leave to cool in tin, wrap in foil when cold
After 2 or 3 days:
- slice loaf as thinly as possible; an electric knife is good for this.
- arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 mins at 140c or until crisp and lightly coloured.
- allow to cool on trays
These are wonderful little treats served alone with coffee, with a soft, fruit cheese, or with one edge finely dipped in melted dark chocolate. Delicious!