Today, in a combined science, maths and home economics episode, we made tooth powders. Customized for individual family members in tiny screw top jars available from the health food shop, they were simple to make and lots of fun. I have never seen my children so eager to brush their teeth!
- 3 teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon of finely ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of calcium-vitamin C powder (available from the health food shop, but not essential)
- essential oil (100% oil of…) we used 1 drop of aniseed for one jar, and several drops of lemon for the other.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl (make larger quantities to the same ratio if required)
- If making several flavours, transfer a portion to a screw top jar and add oil.
- Shake vigorously to distribute oil
- Sift again, transfer to tiny jar.
To make one quantity of paste, we added coconut oil to a portion of the dry mix, and did not flavour with the essential oils. You can also use glycerin and water to your desired consistency, or use vodka, but that is an adventure for another day.