Once you have enjoyed homemade custard, it is a loathsome business to return to shop bought or packet mix.
- 3 cups full cream milk (raw milk is nicest, but regular or even powdered will do)
- 1/2 cup sugar*
- 2 eggs**
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbs cornflour in a small amount of milk
- Combine milk, sugar, and eggs in a saucepan and whisk over medium heat
- Bring to boiling point, add combined cornflour and milk while stirring
- Stir until thickened, remove from heat and add vanilla
* I prefer to substitute the sugar with honey, which adds a delicate flavour to the custard. I also believe it is improved by the addition of some fresh cream, but that is a matter of personal taste.
** For a richer custard, use only the yolks.