This is foolproof. Use as a spur of the moment answer to a need for sweets, or as comfort food on a rainy night, or simply because rice pudding is not quite so bad for you as mud cake. It is even suitable for a camping trip menu.
- 2 cups rice (aborio is best for this, but any white rice will do)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup cream (I used long life, having reached that time of week when the cupboard was bare)
- extra milk
- Place rice and water in medium saucepan, bring to the boil, cover, simmer for 15 mins, or until soft.
- Add condensed milk, cream and vanilla, stir, and leave stand for 5 mins.
- The rice will thicken on standing, as it absorbs the condensed milk and cream, so add extra milk until it reaches the consistency you like best.
- Enjoy warm or chilled.